Remembering Jello

Jell-o

Sure cats are, well, the cat’s meow, and there’s the cool cat every beatnik wanted to be as in man that cat is cool (snap, snap, snap), and there is the band, Hepcat. Cats are fun, wild, crazy, hilarious and cuddly, yet there are times when you might want something a little more Zen, that travels in the same endless circles in a meditative state simply breathing unconcerned that a trail of poop is dangling from its back end. All I’m saying is fish are pets too, and cats love them. Yummmm. 

This the tale of a friend with a tail who died after so many apartment moves with me, so many other tank mates who didn’t make it and a number of cat paws pressed up against the class of his aquarium trying to catch a mid morning snack.

RIP Jello. When I found him dead, I couldn't find my fish net to get him out of the tank. He was too big for me to just scoop him up with my hand because I am one of those girls :) I tried reaching in the tank with a paper towel and grabbing him which resulted in a number of wildly slow cinematic silent film moments as he fell from my Brawny grip. The best by far was when he gently swirled downward, his tail landing on the arc of the bridge and his head on the bottom of the tank like an artistic suicide in orange. 
Boris doing downward cat yoga position with Jell-o


With a need to give the poor fish who had been with me for maybe 12 years some dignity, I grabbed the empty Cool Whip container on the table and quickly submerged it into the water to scoop him in. Yeah, the whip cream container wasn't entirely empty, so the tank immediately became this oily, cloudy white disaster. I tried some at home ocean oil spill clean-up techniques like dragging paper towels across the top of the water to absorb some of the residue. I donated a lot of money to the area I destroyed, and then made countless commercials showing how wonderful and giving to the community and environment I am, and finally I blamed someone else. Good news is, I searched for little Tex in the water to make sure I hadn't killed him in the process. He is okay, but seemed to be mouthing the word strawberry.

Oddly, I really do miss seeing Jello wiggle every morning.

Comments

Greatest Hits